Architects are one of the early adopters of this amazing technology because using 3D Printing has distinct advantages over traditional scale model production:
- Architectural Models can be printed within 1-2 days (after the 3D Model is final). Traditional model making typically takes 4-6 weeks
- The costs of 3D Printing are significantly less than hand made models
- The models are more accurate and can capture a higher level of detail
Architectural Models are typically produced for the following reasons:
- Local Council Development Approvals which require a scale model to support the application
- To visually communicate a concept
- Marketing purposes
- Residential models
- Commercial building models
- Interior models
- Floor plans
Interested? Contact Us to get started, 3D Printing Studios typically convert your existing full scale plans into a 3D scaled down, print ready file. We use a process called File Preparation to produce this file. The input to this process is usually a dwg or 3DS file produced from popular programs such as Autodesk Revit however our software supports over 30 different file types including Sketchup and Archicad files.
Once the file is print ready we then work with you to determine the best 3D Printing technology to use. In most cases we use Selective Laser Sintering but we also use ColorJet Printing, Fused Deposition Modelling and Stereolithography or a combination of these technologies.
Once we have a printed model we optionally mount it in a presentation box, add landscaping or add colour as required.
Here's some examples of our recent work:
We work with all architectural CAD programs including AutoCAD, Revit, Chief Architect, ArchiCAD and Sketchup, just to name a few. If you design in 3D, that is great, we will start with your 3D files. If you have 2D blueprints and elevations, we can build a model from these files as well.